UMAMD Committee Leaders
April 11, 2016
Present: Janine, Brian, Lynn, Sharon, Tim, Greg
- Brochure: Lynn took the draft from last month and has done some editing. The largest change is to emphasize the information on how to join our organization. Some discussion was held about the logo and other editorial suggestions. Lynn was authorized to go ahead and complete the project and print 1,000 copies to use for General Conference 2016. Once the final draft is complete, Janine will send a copy to all our members encouraging them to send in their annual dues, and asking those with updated addresses to share that information with us.
- Greg: First, we celebrated his new role as hospice chaplain and the excitement he has on closing on a home. Greg shared that we do have funds in our treasury, around $3,000.
- GC2016: The following ways of advocating are planned:
- Sharon, Lynn & Janine will be present for the portions of the event.
- Our petitions will be summarized on a half or quarter-sized sheet of paper and inserted into the brochures.
- We will have a portion of a booth available to us.
- Bishop Peggy will lead the communion service Saturday, May 14. Lynn and Sharon will talk with her about including disability concerns during this moment.
- A list of petitions was sent to our members; but apparently one petition did get left out. Janine will resend the corrected list.
- Articles for Love Your Neighbor are being submitted.
- We do not have email addresses for delegates. So we are limited to using regular mail.
- Closing prayer by Greg.
- Next Call: If something comes up needing action before General Conference, we will have a conference call on April 25. 10 Pacific/11 Mountain/12 Central/1 Eastern.
UMAMD Committee Leaders
March 14, 2016
Present: Janine, Lynn, Sharon, Russell, Tim, Greg
Next Meeting: April 11, 1 pm Eastern, 10 am Pacific
- Writing to delegates, who will write, what do we say: individual letters make a big difference. There is consensus that individual letters expressing support and prayers are good. Mention of our issues would be good. Need bullet points. Lynn will contact Jackson Day to see if he has bullet points. 275 US delegates on committees will be looking at our petitions. Northern Illinois (Terry McDorman) and Eastern PA (Barb Skarbowski) are spoken for. Need to ask DMC and AMD to help send letters to others.
- The Love Your Neighbor Coalition Request for support and how we respond/ GC newsletter articles: Lynn has concerns that it will interfere with Disability Ministries stuff. Janine says she can't do one without the other. We don't have the $10,000 to send them, but how do we otherwise support? Differences of opinion. Need to send articles to them for their GC newsletter. Janine/Tim to send out another request to AMD and include the guidelines. Tim will also put it on FB and in the weekly e-mail.
- Review of a draft brochure will send in separate email (thanks Tim):
One suggestion to add at least one picture. Lynn says "very word-intense." Group picture from Dallas — Sharon will ask Tom who took it, who has it. E-mail from the website could be used as contact info. Janine asks Tim to forward the e-mail from that to her and Russell. He would like Janine to send him a reminder in a week or so. The brochure needs work. It's a first draft. We would like to have this brochure to hand out at GC. Janine requests a final draft by our next meeting.
- Beyond GC, establishing a group to work on a 2017 meeting: need a program committee to work on this. Lynn will be for support only, not chair. Russell will work on getting a committee together. Need to find funding whether we meet with DMC or separately. Maybe could piggyback on Summer Institute or with DMC.
UMAMD Committee Leaders
February 8, 2016
Present: Janine DeLaunay, Brian Burch, Lynn Swedberg, Tim Vermande, Sharon McCart and Eric Pridmore, and Russell Ewell
UMAMD Committee Leaders
January 11, 2016
Present: Russell Ewell, Janine DeLaunay, Tim Vermande, Lynn Swedberg, Brian Burch, Lisa McKee & Sharon McCart
Our meeting opened with introductions and prayer. Janine recapped our November and December meetings.
- Activating disability concerns committees at conference levels. In December, Janine wrote a letter inviting clergy on medical leave to join our group. We are still in need of a mechanism for sending the letter. Brian will contact the GBOPHB for a second attempt to see if they would be willing to send out the letter to those receiving CPP disability benefits. While the listing of those on medical leave is in the Journals, GBOPHB is hesitant to release a mailing list.
- Legislation and support for disability related petitions for GC 2016. Thanks to Sharon, Janine and the LYN Coalition we have a full list of delegates to both General Conference and Jurisdictional conferences consisting of over 2,000 names. Lynn is ready to manipulate the spreadsheet and narrow our focus, but needs to learn which legislative committees are dealing with which AMD/DMC petitions.
- Participation in the Love Your Neighbor Coalition.
Janine is our representative to this group. She asked for clarification of how do we respond to issues where there is not agreement within UMAMD? Janine will be meeting the LYN people at pre-conference briefing. Janine can represent the AMD and take action. LYN has a good piece on disability and Janine feels it's up to us to bring our concerns forward. Lynn is requesting volunteers for newsletter and social media communications.
- Work with BOOM in terms of people with disabilities and candidacy process. This is important but can wait. The Disability Committee is working on writing the book and working with UMCom on the Welcoming Church course. The Welcoming Church course will be revamped before General Conference, where it will be publicized. Lisa is working with seminaries to assist them in their process of self-assessment in terms of persons with disabilities. Can we improve our publicity for this group? Could Dodie Risse be of help? It is important for someone to check with Dodie. Tim is working with a group on a brochure for the AMD and a draft version should be ready in another week or so.
- Continued follow-up with UMW and Mission U
Russell recapped his fall meeting with Mary Chang. In response to her suggestion that we develop a set of video stories, Janine wondered if we could do "Chuck Knows Church" series along the theme, "Chuck knows Disabilities." Lisa says there is a portal on the GBHEM site where people can upload their call stories. Maybe we can utilize that. The Julian Way also is making videos that address disability issues in a humorous way.
- Tim shared that effective the end of February he will no longer be contracted through the GBGM to oversee web and social media for the various Disability groups. He is now working on individual contracts with each group. Will we sign a contract with Tim and will we as a group be willing to provide funding for this contract? It was decided that Janine, Russell, Greg and Bill Dowling would put this new contract together.
- Who has agreed to do what?
Lynn: work with GC 2016 Delegate spreadsheet; winnow out who we need to contact; seek out writers for LYN.
Janine: contact Jan Nelson to find out committee assignments; will continue with LYN articles and can some be written ahead. Tim: continue to work on communication and brochure; continue with the website and insure we have a contract in place to continue this ministry. Brian: contact GBOPHB about a mass email/letter inviting those receiving CPP disability payments; contact Dodie Rissie. Lisa: working on video idea, particularly a web-based
Next Conference call: Monday, February 8 with the same time schedule
Brian Burch (with lots of help from Sharon McCart)